Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
|Title:||Outer-disk reddening and gas-phase metallicities: The CALIFA connection||Authors:||Marino, R. A.
Gil de Paz, A.
Sánchez, S. F.
López-Sánchez, A. R.
González Delgado, R. M.
de Lorenzo-Cáceres, A.
Walcher, C. J.
|Issue Date:||2016||Journal:||ASTRONOMY & ASTROPHYSICS||Number:||585||First Page:||A47||Abstract:||We study, for the first time in a statistically significant and well-defined sample, the relation between the outer-disk ionized-gas metallicity gradients and the presence of breaks in the surface brightness profiles of disk galaxies. Sloan Digital Sky Survey (SDSS) g'- and r'-band surface brightness, (g' - r') color, and ionized-gasoxygen abundance profiles for 324 galaxies within the Calar Alto Legacy Integral Field Area (CALIFA) survey are used for this purpose. We perform a detailed light-profile classification, finding that 84% of our disks show down- or up-bending profiles (Type II and Type III, respectively), while the remaining 16% are well fitted by one single exponential (Type I). The analysis of the color gradients at both sides of this break shows a U-shaped profile for most Type II galaxies with an average minimum (g' - r') color of ~0.5 mag and an ionized-gas metallicity flattening associated with it only in the case of low-mass galaxies. Comparatively, more massive systems show a rather uniform negative metallicity gradient. The correlation between metallicity flattening and stellar mass for these systems results in p-values as low as 0.01. Independent of the mechanism having shaped the outer light profiles of these galaxies, stellar migration or a previous episode of star formation in a shrinking star-forming disk, it is clear that the imprint in their ionized-gas metallicity was different for low- and high-mass Type II galaxies. In the case of Type III disks, a positive correlation between the change in color and abundance gradient is found (the null hypothesis is ruled out with a p-value of 0.02), with the outer disks of Type III galaxies with masses ≤10<SUP>10</SUP> M<SUB>☉</SUB> showing a weak color reddening or even a bluing. This is interpreted as primarily due to a mass downsizing effect on the population of Type III galaxies that recently experienced an enhanced inside-out growth.||URI:||http://hdl.handle.net/20.500.12386/25939||URL:||https://www.aanda.org/articles/aa/abs/2016/01/aa26986-15/aa26986-15.html||ISSN:||0004-6361||DOI:||10.1051/0004-6361/201526986||Bibcode ADS:||2016A&A...585A..47M||Fulltext:||open|
|Appears in Collections:||1.01 Articoli in rivista|
Show full item record
Files in This Item:
|aa26986-15.pdf||Pdf editoriale||8.08 MB||Adobe PDF||View/Open|
checked on Sep 21, 2020
checked on Sep 21, 2020
Items in DSpace are published in Open Access, unless otherwise indicated.